Sunday, July 31, 2011

Shaking in my boots

I'm just short of two weeks until my move... and I don't know where my mind ends or begins at this point. I've been so stressed about packing, saying goodbyes, and getting my classes together that I've almost forgotten about the more important things.

Saturday was Aunt Helen's funeral. She was a great woman, a saint in fact... and very dear to my own family. Seeing all the extended Cracroft family was overwhelming. Cousins I've never seen before, uncles I haven't seen since I was a baby; literally everyone. She had a peaceful passing though surrounded by family on this side of the world and the other. I'm not much of a religious goon, but as she died my family had asked her if she could see them, and she shook her head no. They proceeded to ask her if she could see her husband, she shook her head violently yes. They continued with her mom and dad, and her brothers that had passed before her. She could see them all.

Death is an interesting thing, and when you've got someone so close to the other side, you wonder more about the true destination of our souls. Entering into the medical field just might be the step up into answering some of these questions. Being close to people on the brink of death makes me feel somewhat closer to my mother, but it also draws a lot of blanks in my mind as to why she had to leave us at such a young age. It's just weird that someone can be here one day, and completely lifeless the next. Where did that last breath go? Why did that heart stop beating?

No comments:

Post a Comment